Our Tools

"We become what we behold. We shape our tools and thereafter our tools shape us." - Marshall McLuhan

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Exposure




I wanted the filters to input new meaning by the footage I chose. I shot newspapers, which is a source that communicates to the world everyday. I wanted to go underneath those newspapers and create a new visually appealing newspaper. I experimented with different filters but I chose to go with invert and echo. However, only using invert once didn’t do much so I duplicated it several times. The filters distorted the footage and added multiple colors. Echo filter doubled the words adding several lines of sentences, which created an overwhelming feeling. It goes along with reading books; when your required to read something you don’t understand it creates confusion and becomes a bunch of words.

Also I decided to use crop to create a collage of words. Adding crop with the other filters reminded me of a quilt. The filters visually created different word patterns by the difference in parameters and speeds. I added different sized layers to represent each layer individually. The filters took away the visual aspect of a newspaper. Also the filters took away some sentence structures and words disappeared by the filters being pushed to their limits. The effects controlled the exposure of which words would be represented. Also the effects went beneath each page apart of the newspaper to expose even more words and images. Exposure represents words create multiple meanings.

No comments:

Post a Comment