Our Tools

"We become what we behold. We shape our tools and thereafter our tools shape us." - Marshall McLuhan

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Layer Effects

Layer Effect from Cynthia Schedler on Vimeo.

The video I used is my boyfriend studying. I choose this video mostly for the colors. He was wearing a white sweatshirt, blue jeans and his folder and notebook were red. The color contrast really caught my eye. There is not much sound except for the turning of pages but he had headphones on. So for someone to watch him studying it is nearly silent but for him the experience is full of sound. In hindsight I wish the music would have been in the background so I could have put effects on that also.
One of the really interesting things I found while doing this project was that the video is still Brett studying but by using effects the message of the video changes. Some of the clips that I found most aesthetically pleasing are the clips where it is most difficult to even see what is happening. I can tell it’s a person but I can’t necessarily tell what the person is doing and then I think the seer has to use their imagination and try to put the pieces together. I initially used a 20 second clip and pasted it six times. I added effects to each of those six segments. Then I decided to take each of the six and cut them in half and take the effects of each half and add more effects. I liked this because you can see how much the video can be transformed by just adding a few more layers.

No comments:

Post a Comment