Our Tools

"We become what we behold. We shape our tools and thereafter our tools shape us." - Marshall McLuhan

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Filter Processing

Filter Processing from Adam Brinckman on Vimeo.



I wanted to play around with the different shapes of an object and see how I could alter its motion and geometry. I chose a ceiling fan both for its symmetry in shape and its circular motion. I kept the fan at a constant speed so that any observable change in its properties was through filtering alone.

First, using various color filters, I was able to capture the motion as color. An observable side effect is the difference in colors around the blades even though the blades themselves are the only thing moving in the frame. Second, I wanted to play with the speed of motion and geometry of motion itself. Unexpectedly, I was able to bend the image to give the illusion of two fans which began rotating around themselves at the same speed as the blades. Thirdly, I wanted to try to match filters that have the same geometrical properties as the fan. I used twirling filters and spherical filters combined with the previous filters to achieve dramatic appearance of every shadow and shape moving like in a vortex. Lastly, I wanted to calm things down, and use very simple color filtering and ghosting filtering to show off the original fans geometry and movement in contrast to all previous effects in the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment